Sunday, November 16, 2014

A “Talent” for Writing

“6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 1:6 New International Version

I‘ve been told I write more often and in greater quantity than average.  It extends to talking as well, regulated only by medication metabolism.  Occasionally comes affirming feedback and, on even rarer occasions (maybe once), suggestions to write for wider audiences.  Any & all encouragement is cool, but the light of penning more publicly quickly dims when I’m humbled, reading truly gifted authors with such command of language combined with cleverness, creativity and the ability to see the end of a story from the beginning.  So what’s my story?  Many sense they have a novel inside; mine began as a really rough draft.

I struggled greatly with college English.  As my worst subject, I was filled with trepidation of even surviving English 101.  I attributed some of the struggle to a poor high school foundation, notwithstanding the football coach teaching senior-year English.   He often gave me a pass sometimes not even insisting that assignments be completed or turned in.

Early business life was also a crucible of conjugational conflict.  One boss returned memos marked up like an essay proof.  But his high standards did improve the clarity of my written communications.  However, any real progress was only attributable to whether or not Karen proofread final drafts, a practice that continues to this day.   But then things changed.

In the late 80s/early 90s I sensed a leading to write for Christian readers.  The first inspirations materialized as scripts for musicals.   The musicals were pretty well received and led to requests for devotions, skits, and a variety of other Christian related writings.  At the last large church we attended I wrote a number of children’s messages, scripts for thematic services such as Memorial Day, etc. and drafted a half dozen or so plays and cantatas, which were never performed.  At the end, I even wrote for funerals.

I was not born with a latent talent for writing.  Nor did I receive instruction that would have added enough raw ingredients to cook up wonderful writings worthy of Reader’s Digest.  Therefore, if my writing style resonates with anyone (at all) then only God could have given this “talent” as a gift of grace.  I can’t boast about anything save Christ and His promise to equip the Church for His purposes and for all “good works.”  See Ephesians 4:12.  

This eye-opener for me is analogous to the two-edged sword of Hebrews 4:12 (five year-old grandson says the “w” in sword is silent).  The personal edge bolstered my faith knowing I was given a heretofore completely non-existent skill.  The public sword edge means no pride of authorship, which is liberating.  Therefore, if you’ve ever gotten annoyed by anything I’ve written, send complaints to either the “Author and Finisher” of my faith – or – to Karen, my editor-in-chief.   Please use concision when so doing.


I earnestly await a companion talent, the gift of grammar.   Until further enlightened, I’ll make use of my aptitude for sensing people roll their eyes over the Internet.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Great blog! Made me smile :)

Sharon Matthew said...

My eyes are smiling :) Very cool, dad!

PS: I am so, so, anxiously awaiting the completion of your spiral-bound paperback memoirs for the grandkids! (Last year's birthday present!) Don't worry, you only have 237 more days to go!

Unknown said...

This gives me hope for many things. Thank you for sharing.