Thursday, June 19, 2008

D4 - Happy Birthday

(Editor's Note: Doug's birthday and my wedding anniversary (35th!) are on the same day. So we sort of have a race each year to be the first to acknowledge the special day with an email or a call. This blog in no way changes the yearly challenge to be first, although I must admit that by blogging, I am clearly in the lead!)
--
This has been a fun adventure honoring each of my sibling's birthdays this past year. It felt good to focus in on each one and try to sketch an honest and heartfelt word picture. The final installment is Doug, final only because of where time-wise I started the blogs. I must start right off by saying that what characterises Doug so very much to me is his purposeful and self-sacrificing devotion to his wife and to his family. This may sound trite and often repeated, but let me "splain and I'll use small words." (Hah!)
--
It has always been a pet peeve of mine to hear people publicly or privately criticize or make fun of their spouse or try to land a joke at their expense. You don't have to be around Doug very long to hear him speak of his sincere admiration for Loie and how thankful he is to have her in his life. I have never heard him say or write anything but praise for his God given help-meet.
--
If that is not enough devotion, then who will ever forget his on-going adoration for Caleb. Not many people change a part of their name unless something or someone has had a life altering impact upon them internally that they just can't help but express it some way externally. The impact that Caleb has on Doug is truly profound and he is purely devoted to him.
--
The easy part to digest is his sacrifice and devotion to all his daughters, and three daughters is just about right! Life has made sustaining relationships with them very arduous at times but humbling as well. Yet Doug always preservers and makes them feel accepted and loved no matter what. I have personally watched when Doug has, more than once, been given God-breathed wisdom for them in a gentle and palatable way. I think they see his sincerity and it enables them to better embrace his suggestions (well, not always).
Doug is also very devoted to Mom. Thanks to his iron-enriched memory for details, he is keeping her legacy very much alive. I know he misses her more than words can tell, but he doesn't hesitate to put it in words with child-like fondness and real devotion. I have told Doug many times that I think he writes very well and have encouraged him to journal or blog if time ever permitted. We could all benefit from his perspective on many things and his recollections on life with Mom.
--
To continue with his devotions, Doug has, from a very young age, been devoted to ministry. Even though organized religions have provided some pretty good knocks up-side his head, he remains sincere and consistent in his relationship with Christ. Doug is what I call a "Marketplace Evangelist", meaning that you don't have to have a robe or a title to minister to people's needs or to speak of becoming a Christian or to committing to discipleship. He does this wherever he is, thus the term "marketplace". He may have a vocation, but it is secondary to his calling to minister where ever he is. For this Doug brings a moral compass along with him that has helped his extended family many times.
--
As a result of his sacrifices and willingness to help others, Doug has an enviably large circle of friends that he is continually devoted to and they continue to bless his life as well. I am glad that he is not only my brother, but my friend as well.
--
Happy Birthday Doug (the "D" stands for Devoted).
--
Love,
--
D1

No comments: